Sunday, March 21, 2010

I Want You to Know His Name



Please remember, remember well,

This thing you are going to sell,

You'll probably get ten grand, maybe more.

You'll probably blow it on booze and whores.


Remember, when you delete his pictures,

Those smiling faces are now empty fixtures.

Drowning in tears for what they lost.

Trying to move on because they must.


Remember, when you delete his files,

He was a young man travelling for miles,

On his way to work, to make a living,

In a country that always took, never giving.


Remember, before you make your excuse,

He was a young boy just like you.

Yet he was doing a nine to five,

Not killing and stealing with a gun or knife.


You could have shot him on the leg

Instead, you aimed it at his head

And what did you take, what was your prize?

For a laptop, you took a life.


And while you go home and you rest

His broken old man beats his chest

Shouting incoherence to the above

That God, I promise, will take note of.


Please remember, armed robber man.

When you stand where we all must stand

And the heads of Cerberus greet you with snarls

Just so you know, his name was Charles.

4 comments:

  1. Wow I got the whole picture from this poem! brilliant twinnie.. who was he? I'm in Nigeria now... fb me... change my url on ur blog its no longer solo.. its www.m-loves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey twinnie, i just changed the url now. thanks.
    he was an old friend from my hometown...
    I'll fb you

    ReplyDelete
  3. R.I.P Charles....

    I often ponder on the ruthlessness of killers..too..

    Sad...

    How are you dear?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm good, thanks Rose.
    Infact, Nigeria is really starting to scare me.
    But God knows...

    ReplyDelete