Friday, April 23, 2010

They Say The Darndest Things



I live with my cousin and her family. Her kids are nine, seven and six years old(boy, girl, boy) and most times, when I need a laugh, I simply listen to them talk.
They are hilarious.

"Mummy, when are we going to go to Nigeria?" Seven asked my cousin once.
"One day", her mom assured her.
"What?!" Seven complained, "Just for one day? Aww men!"

On another occassion, my cousin took Six and I to her office and introduced us to her colleagues. When we were about to leave, one of them said bye to Six.
"Bye!" Six replied, "See you when I'm old!"

This is an example of a conversation I have with Six almost everyday:
"Aunty, can I- can I ask you something?"
"Yes".
"You know how...you know when, like, you know...Aunty, can I ask you something?"
"Yes".
"This is my playstation game".
".....okay".

I hear things like these on a daily basis. I'm used to it now. But sometimes, kids can surprise you.

Last Wednesday was my cousin's birthday, so the kids and I cleaned up the house and made dinner to surprise her. We bought a card, baked macaroons (there was no margarine or butter to bake a cake, macaroons were the only thing in the cookbook that didn't need butter) and arranged the dining table all fancy like. By now, Six was fretting about how hungry he was. Usually they ate before their mum came home. But he waited.

When she came home, she was happy (the house was clean, of course she was happy).
After all the greetings and picture taking, we finally settled down around the table. Six reached out to grab a spoon.

"Can we pray first?", my cousin asked. Six groaned and sat back. "Come on, Six pray for us".
He groaned again, "Aww men! Why can't Nine do it?"
"I'm asking you, Six", she replied.
"Okay", he said. He closed his eyes, clapped his hands together and bowed his head. I waited for the usual 'Bless this food, Oh Lord' that they normally said.

But, in the calmest, most innocent, most solemn voice and in a surprisingly adult manner, he said,

"Jesus taught us to pray
Jesus taught us to love one another
Jesus taught us to help each other...every day
Jesus taught us to [always be together]
Jesus taught us to ()
Thank you Jesus for my mommy
Thank you Jesus for our food
Jesus is our only father and
God is our only father and- and
Mary and Joseph are our only Mum and Dad.
Thank you Jesus for this meal. Amen".

"Amen", we chorused and opened our eyes. For about five seconds, no one said anything. We just stared at him.
It wasn't just what he said, it was the way he said it. He wasn't reciting something he was taught, he was actually talking to God. Yes, some parts of it are funny but mostly, it was genuine.
"Six, that was so good!" his mum said.
"I know!" I said.
"Yeah, where did you learn to pray like that?" Nine asked, looking at his brother like he didn't know who he was. If you knew Six, you'd understand why we were so surprised.

As we praised him, he just sat, uncharacteristically quiet, looking at his plate.
"Six, where did you learn that?" his mom asked.
A small frown formed on his face as he looked up.
"Can we eat now?" he asked, returning to the six year old we knew.
So we ate.

When I was writing this post, I asked him to say the prayer for me again.
"I can't remember", he said. I urged him to try and remember.
"I can't", he said, "I don't know, I just said it".
In adult lingo, "It was straight from his heart".

Maybe it's not such a big deal.
Maybe it's normal for six year olds to pray like that without being taught.
But for me, that was a first. It was the most honest prayer I'd ever heard from...anyone really, not just a child.

True, kids say the darndest things. But they can also say the sweetest things.


**** Permission was taken from their mother to write this.
****The () and [] mean I can't remember what he said.

6 comments:

  1. LOOOL---dats really cute!
    I dounbt if wen i was 6 i knew anything bout talking to GOD--lool the kids r def hilarious--esp the part of "see you when im old"
    LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL @ Mary and Joseph are our only mum and dad. LOLLLLL...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I just cried reading this... tell him I love him pls!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @gee. I know, right? When I was six, I was probably still looking at pictures in Children's Story Bible...lol
    @Jaycee. That part was hilarious, especially since he was so serious, lol
    @LovePaprika. I'll tell him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. jaycee read my mind!
    mary + joseph.. i've gotta borrow that...lmao

    ReplyDelete